Translate

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Feeling about Reviews

Good Morning,

I don’t know how I feel today, but it’s not on the plus side of the line. I wrote two books and published them. When I wrote the second book, I tried hard to make it different than the first book. As a new writer, I haven’t found my style yet. I think each story warrants something a bit different. Reading reviews hasn’t really benefited me in the way I thought it would. They leave me confused. Opinions vary that you can’t pinpoint where you actually need improvement. It’s difficult to trust someone with your work. I have a few I do trust.

Last night, I looked through other writers’ reviews. I came upon one review of a 2 star because the book had too many gay characters. What?

I had one who reviewer read the entire book, said it had good sex scenes, but she felt I did not finish all the loose ends, so she wrote in her last sentence that she will return the book. What? You read the book, don’t like the ending, so you return it. Interesting. She also said she didn’t like when I skipped an afternoon. I wonder how she would feel about a family saga that lasted generations. I mean you can’t show every minute of the character’s day. It would be a soap opera. Then you read other reviews that say it could be cut down, and not to show every detail.

So which is it? I have no idea. At this point, I don’t know what method to trust to improve my writing. I go by what I like in a book.

I read an article yesterday explaining that many authors pay for positive reviews. I don’t think that’s fair at all, but this is a free market and a free market isn’t always fair.
Writing Erotica has its own issues with people who have specialized kinks and taboos. I ask myself who is my audience? How do I make sure I enlarge my audience circle? I first write for me.

There is a fine line when you stop promo and begin to write. Some writers can do both, but unfortunately I’m not one of them. I have to focus on one thing at a time.
I think I need a vacation very soon away from people.

Brina Brady



No comments:

Post a Comment